Kilah's Journey

Kilah’s fight to survive was full of ups and downs. She made strides that, in the beginning, doctors said would never happen, before finally succumbing to the injuries with which she was afflicted.
Below, we will walk you through the series of events that comprised the last 22 months of her short life.

May 16, 2012

Kilah was severely injured and underwent emergency surgery to remove the front part of her skull, called the bone flap. This was necessary to relieve the pressure and swelling on her brain. The doctors did not expect her to survive her injuries.

May 17, 2012

Kilah’s abuser was arrested and charged with felony child abuse.

May 19, 2012

Kiah surpassed the critical 72 hours of surviving her injuries.

May 21, 2012

Family meets with neurosurgeon who states Kilah will be in a vegetative state for the rest of her life. We would not except this and were determined to remain positive. That evening, a prayer vigil was held outside the hospital later in the week. Praying for complete healing.

May 19, 2012

Kiah surpassed the critical 72 hours of surviving her injuries.

June 1, 2012

Kilah was transferred to Levine’s Children’s Hospital in Charlotte. She was admitted into the pediatric intensive care unit where for the first time we heard a doctor state that they felt Kilah is rehabable. Within a couple of days of being in PICU Kilah underwent surgery to put in a trach and a feeding tube.

June 14, 2012

Kilah was admitted to the rehab unit. While in rehab Kilah underwent aggressive daily speech, occupational and physical therapy. Kilah worked on head control, eating by mouth, standing in a standing frame, communicating with her eyes, recognizing and identifying colors and objects and she also took a couple of assisted steps in therapy.

July 19, 2012

Kilah was discharged and went home. Her homecoming parade was like that of a princess led by fire trucks, motorcycles and numerous cars. Once home, Kilah was met with a victory celebration with family, friends and news media.

August 2012

Kilah passes her swallow test and is cleared to eat stage 2 baby food.

September 2012

Kilah had surgery to successfully put her skull or bone flap back. December 2012: Kilah begins to say a couple of words.

December 2012

Kilah begins to say a couple of words.

February 2013

Kilah is able to roll on her own in therapy.

March 2013

Kilah has been cleared by her rehab doctor to begin horse therapy.

April 3 2013

Kilah celebrated her fourth birthday.

April 15, 2013

Kilah had surgery to insert a shunt to manage fluid in her ventricles.

April 24, 2013

North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory signs the Kilah Davenport Child Protection Act into Law!

March 13, 2014

After a 22 month-long fight to survive, Kilah finally succumbed to her injuries and passed away, three weeks shy of her fifth birthday.

May 20, 2014

Kilah's Law, submitted by North Carolina U.S. Congressman Robert Pittenger, with bi-partisan support, is signed into law by President Barack Obama.